Friday 17 February 2017

Anniversary - 3 years of ACT

Today marks 3 years since my first session of ACT group therapy. Little did I know back then what an effective and frankly life changing therapy it would be for me. Though I found the ACT skills instantly helpful, it has surprised me how their long term use has transformed me. The purpose of ACT is to encourage psychological flexibility and I really do feel that I am far more psychologically flexible than I used to be. I find that I rarely need to consciously use the ACT tools anymore - my mind knows to do it all on its own. I have been off antidepressants for about 2 years and I think that it is unlikely that I will ever need them again. 
I still have some bad days, but they rarely affect me as deeply or hang around for as long as they used to.
I still have moments where I get caught up in struggling and avoidance but it isn't my response every time to every single thing which happens to me. I feel I still have to work on it and I believe that the more I do so, the more positive results I will likely see.
So here's to my 3 year ACT anniversary - may it continue to help me and those I teach for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment